MacDailyNews (MDN) has been expunged from this pundit's bookmarks. Their use of pop-under advertising has simply become too annoying.
As the site plainly admitted, a cookie generated by the site limits the number of pop-under ads to one every 24 hours. There are days when I've seen more, but one is the general rule. However, a couple dozen Mac sites offer nearly identical content and manage to put bread on the table without resorting to such unwashed advertising tactics. So, why suffer even a single moment's annoyance?
Also, though the problem appears inconsistently, MDN chokes Safari (ie 41 of 43 items and then hangs) with some regularity. This problem can be fairly annoying as it prevents Safari from loading other sites in other windows. Again, not a big deal and perhaps not directly MDN's fault (other sites don't have this problem). Nevertheless, why be bothered?
And, of course, MDN does offer an RRS feed and if you use NetNewsWire, which I highly recommend, for example, opening the odd article in a tab in that application will expose you to zero pop-under ads.
Perhaps if enough of us decide that pop-unders aren't acceptable, period, MDN will change its tune. Until then here's one reader that's taking his ad impressions and walking...
What's your take?
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
Browse and search for more articles