MacDailyNews (MDN) has been expunged from this pundit's bookmarks. Their use of pop-under advertising has simply become too annoying.
As the site plainly admitted, a cookie generated by the site limits the number of pop-under ads to one every 24 hours. There are days when I've seen more, but one is the general rule. However, a couple dozen Mac sites offer nearly identical content and manage to put bread on the table without resorting to such unwashed advertising tactics. So, why suffer even a single moment's annoyance?
Also, though the problem appears inconsistently, MDN chokes Safari (ie 41 of 43 items and then hangs) with some regularity. This problem can be fairly annoying as it prevents Safari from loading other sites in other windows. Again, not a big deal and perhaps not directly MDN's fault (other sites don't have this problem). Nevertheless, why be bothered?
And, of course, MDN does offer an RRS feed and if you use NetNewsWire, which I highly recommend, for example, opening the odd article in a tab in that application will expose you to zero pop-under ads.
Perhaps if enough of us decide that pop-unders aren't acceptable, period, MDN will change its tune. Until then here's one reader that's taking his ad impressions and walking...
What's your take?
- Evernote launches Pebble app
- Wello iPhone case delivers suite of biometric readings
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
Browse and search for more articles