MacDailyNews (MDN) has been expunged from this pundit's bookmarks. Their use of pop-under advertising has simply become too annoying.
As the site plainly admitted, a cookie generated by the site limits the number of pop-under ads to one every 24 hours. There are days when I've seen more, but one is the general rule. However, a couple dozen Mac sites offer nearly identical content and manage to put bread on the table without resorting to such unwashed advertising tactics. So, why suffer even a single moment's annoyance?
Also, though the problem appears inconsistently, MDN chokes Safari (ie 41 of 43 items and then hangs) with some regularity. This problem can be fairly annoying as it prevents Safari from loading other sites in other windows. Again, not a big deal and perhaps not directly MDN's fault (other sites don't have this problem). Nevertheless, why be bothered?
And, of course, MDN does offer an RRS feed and if you use NetNewsWire, which I highly recommend, for example, opening the odd article in a tab in that application will expose you to zero pop-under ads.
Perhaps if enough of us decide that pop-unders aren't acceptable, period, MDN will change its tune. Until then here's one reader that's taking his ad impressions and walking...
What's your take?
- Reserve Strap and the secret Apple Watch plug
- Apple Watch Review Diary: UX, odds and ends
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Battery: First Full Week
- Podcast: Thoughts on the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Notifications
- Apple's supply chain and the defective taptic engine part
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Fitness Features/Tracker
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Productivity Apps: OmniFocus, Trello, Evernote IFTTT
- Tattoos and Apple Watches may not mix
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Making/Receiving Phone Calls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Siri
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Maps/Navigation
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Hardware
- Apple Watch Apps, shipping issues, pop culture reactions
- Some practically useful early Apple Watch apps
- Ars: Inside Apple's ResearchKit
- Apple VP Angela Ahrendts sends video message on Apple Watch to retail employees
- Keynote, PowerPoint apps add support for Apple Watch
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
Browse and search for more articles