MacDailyNews (MDN) has been expunged from this pundit's bookmarks. Their use of pop-under advertising has simply become too annoying.
As the site plainly admitted, a cookie generated by the site limits the number of pop-under ads to one every 24 hours. There are days when I've seen more, but one is the general rule. However, a couple dozen Mac sites offer nearly identical content and manage to put bread on the table without resorting to such unwashed advertising tactics. So, why suffer even a single moment's annoyance?
Also, though the problem appears inconsistently, MDN chokes Safari (ie 41 of 43 items and then hangs) with some regularity. This problem can be fairly annoying as it prevents Safari from loading other sites in other windows. Again, not a big deal and perhaps not directly MDN's fault (other sites don't have this problem). Nevertheless, why be bothered?
And, of course, MDN does offer an RRS feed and if you use NetNewsWire, which I highly recommend, for example, opening the odd article in a tab in that application will expose you to zero pop-under ads.
Perhaps if enough of us decide that pop-unders aren't acceptable, period, MDN will change its tune. Until then here's one reader that's taking his ad impressions and walking...
What's your take?
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles