MacDailyNews (MDN) has been expunged from this pundit's bookmarks. Their use of pop-under advertising has simply become too annoying.
As the site plainly admitted, a cookie generated by the site limits the number of pop-under ads to one every 24 hours. There are days when I've seen more, but one is the general rule. However, a couple dozen Mac sites offer nearly identical content and manage to put bread on the table without resorting to such unwashed advertising tactics. So, why suffer even a single moment's annoyance?
Also, though the problem appears inconsistently, MDN chokes Safari (ie 41 of 43 items and then hangs) with some regularity. This problem can be fairly annoying as it prevents Safari from loading other sites in other windows. Again, not a big deal and perhaps not directly MDN's fault (other sites don't have this problem). Nevertheless, why be bothered?
And, of course, MDN does offer an RRS feed and if you use NetNewsWire, which I highly recommend, for example, opening the odd article in a tab in that application will expose you to zero pop-under ads.
Perhaps if enough of us decide that pop-unders aren't acceptable, period, MDN will change its tune. Until then here's one reader that's taking his ad impressions and walking...
What's your take?
- Straight Talk launches iPhone 5s, 5c sans contracts
- Wired looks at Square's card reader redesign
- Twitter for iOS gets update for DM photos
- Real world use of iBeacon in Apple stores
- 1Password for Mac 4.1 bring a number of improvements
- WSJ blasts ant-trust judge and prosecutor
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
- OWC adds USB 3.0 to Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 enclosures
- MOGA Ace Power iOS game controller
- Sprint offers free 12 month smartphone service for students
- Find My Friends app get iOS 7 treatment
- PBS, Yahoo Screen comes to Apple TV
Browse and search for more articles